Re: BUG #15367: Crash in pg_fe_scram_free when using foreign tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Jeremy Evans <code(at)jeremyevans(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15367: Crash in pg_fe_scram_free when using foreign tables
Date: 2018-09-09 03:47:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> On the other front of developing a test case to detect this problem,
> I did not have much luck with mechanizing this specific test: it
> requires some functionality we have in the TAP tests, like setting
> up an installation with SCRAM password authentication enabled, as
> well as other functionality we have in the isolation tester, like
> doing things in two different sessions concurrently. But we don't
> really need to test this *exact* scenario; we just need something
> that will behave differently if libpq links to backend versions of
> any of the problematic functions. I'm a bit tempted to add
> something like this to saslprep.c:

> bool
> saslprep_is_frontend()
> {
> #ifdef FRONTEND
> return true;
> #else
> return false;
> #endif
> }

On reflection, saslprep.c is not the right place for this: if some
other shlib needs a similar test, it might be forced to import SASL
support it has no need for. So I put the test function into its
own new .c file, which increases the footprint of the patch a bit
but seems much less ad-hoc.

I verified that this patch causes a failure in the postgres_fdw
regression test on affected platforms, even my FreeBSD box where
the original bug doesn't cause an easily-detectable failure.

I propose this for HEAD only; the main point is just to detect
which platforms have the issue, and HEAD seems like enough for that.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
detect-bogus-ELF-linkage.patch text/x-diff 7.2 KB