BUG #16491: PostgreSQL will not install unless a local account is used

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: thomasrdiaz(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: BUG #16491: PostgreSQL will not install unless a local account is used
Date: 2020-06-12 17:07:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 16491
Logged by: Tom Diaz
Email address: thomasrdiaz(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 12.3
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

1. All attempts to install any recent version (9-12) of PostgreSQL on this
system failed with an inscrutable error, near the end of the installation,
about database initialization failing.

2. My usual (administrator) account on this system, which is more or less a
single-user system, is connected to my Microsoft.com account.

3. To work around the problem, I elevated a different, local account on the
machine to the Administrator group.

4. I logged out and logged back in with the local Administrator account.
Installation worked fine and worked with pgadmin.

The install procedure needs to either avoid this problem or at least give a
more meaningful error message that tells the user what is wrong.