BUG #16094: Database entering recovery mode

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: mircea(at)reva(dot)tech
Subject: BUG #16094: Database entering recovery mode
Date: 2019-11-04 14:50:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 16094
Logged by: Mircea Pirv
Email address: mircea(at)reva(dot)tech
PostgreSQL version: 12.0
Operating system: OSX

Hello,

We've updated our database from 10.6 to 12.0 recently and we keep
encountering an error which says that the database is entering recovery
mode.
Our setup has replication enabled, with a replication slot, and using a
replication subscription. On our development machines replication is setup
to use the same machine.
The problem is, that with replication enabled, changing a column value using
an update statement, causes the database to enter recovery mode.
This happens only when replication is enabled.
We could not find any pattern, like what kind of columns might be the
culprit. It happens with all kinds of columns, regardless of the fact that
we have constraints, triggers, defaults on the columns. With some columns it
happens randomly, with some it happens all the time.

In the logs the only error we see, is a segmentation fault, when replication
tries to run.
We tried with both a local server, and a dockerized version (12.0).

It only reproduces in 12.0. 10.6 and 11.5 do not have this problem, we could
not reproduce it.

Any ideas on what may have changed in 12.0 to cause this behavior ?

Thanks,
Mircea