BUG #16077: Sorting of table list depends on platform

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: thomas(dot)bessou(at)stockly(dot)ai
Subject: BUG #16077: Sorting of table list depends on platform
Date: 2019-10-24 16:09:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 16077
Logged by: Ten Ten
Email address: thomas(dot)bessou(at)stockly(dot)ai
PostgreSQL version: 10.9
Operating system: Mac OS/Linux

Running the following query:
```
SELECT table_name, table_schema from information_schema.tables
WHERE table_schema = 'your schema' AND table_type LIKE 'BASE TABLE' ORDER BY
table_name;
```
The output differs on Linux and Mac versions, though the tables are the same
(setup by the same script from an empty database).

We would assume ORDER BY has the same behaviour on all platforms.

We have the same output for this query on Linux Postgres 10.6 and Linux
Postgres 11.5.
On Mac with Postgres 10.6 and on Mac with Postgres 10.9, we also have the
same output, but it is different from the Linux one.

This causes issues such as this one:
https://github.com/diesel-rs/diesel/issues/2202#issuecomment-544148551

Specifically, it seems the Linux version ignores underscores ('_') while
sorting this query, while the Mac version doesn't.