BUG #15999: jsonb_populate_record fails with array column

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: easteregg(at)verfriemelt(dot)org
Subject: BUG #15999: jsonb_populate_record fails with array column
Date: 2019-09-10 09:55:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 15999
Logged by: Richard
Email address: easteregg(at)verfriemelt(dot)org
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.15
Operating system: Debian / Windows

given the following simplified table with one row inserted:

> create table testa ( id serial, test text[] default
'{"test","test2"}'::text[] );
> insert into testa values (default);

when we try to populate a record of testa type we run into trouble with
postgres in version 9.6.15

> select jsonb_populate_record(null::testa , to_jsonb(testa)) FROM testa;
ERROR: 22P02: malformed array literal: "["test", "test2"]"
DETAIL: "[" must introduce explicitly-specified array dimensions.
LOCATION: array_in, arrayfuncs.c:269

with postgres 10 and higher we get the expected result:

> select jsonb_populate_record(null::testa , to_jsonb(testa)) FROM testa;
jsonb_populate_record
(1,"{test,test2}")
(1 row)

whe the array column is null, and therefor no contained array in the jsonb
representation, everything works fine under 9.6.15