BUG #15673: Stackbuilder SSL error on corporate network that uses SSL interdiction/resigning

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: jacob(dot)stevens(dot)haas(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: BUG #15673: Stackbuilder SSL error on corporate network that uses SSL interdiction/resigning
Date: 2019-03-06 17:28:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 15673
Logged by: Jacob Stevens-Haas
Email address: jacob(dot)stevens(dot)haas(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 11.2
Operating system: Windows 10

I installed PostgreSQL 11.2 on my work PC on my work network for a DB
management project (all default settings). Following the project
instructions, I ran stackbuilder, selected the PostgreSQL installation on
port 5432, and hit 'next'.

Error:
A certificate verification problem was encountered whilst accessing
https://www.postgresql.org/applications-v2.html schannel: next
InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The
revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.
This means that the source of the download cannot be verified (description
of what revocation failure means, risks)... Do you wish to continue?

I hit yes, but then a new dialog box appears with the same error, this time
fatal "Couldn't access the URL
https://www.postgresql.org/applications-v2.html. Error: next
InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The
revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.

I believe my work network has some strong security settings, such as SSL
interception and re-signing, but I'm no expert. https://www.postgresql.org
appears trusted in browsers, but if I open a python session and
`requests.get('https://www.postgresql.org', verify = True)`, then I get an
SSL error. Getting off the work network solves both the requests.get and
the stackbuilder issue.