BUG #15651: Collation setting en_US.utf8 breaking sort order

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: kaleb(dot)akalework(at)asg(dot)com
Subject: BUG #15651: Collation setting en_US.utf8 breaking sort order
Date: 2019-02-22 16:34:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 15651
Logged by: Kaleb Akalework
Email address: kaleb(dot)akalework(at)asg(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 11.0
Operating system: Linux

I have PostgresSQL database on Windows. I created database with Collation of
en_US.utf8. Then I created table (The steps to reproduce are below). I
inserted a few rows into this table one of which was row with special
characters "~!(at)#$^&(". The insert worked fine but then when I do a select on
the column for values >=' ' (Space), I get back all the rows except for the
row that contains
"~!(at)#$^&(" . In the UTF8 table
https://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl, I can see that space is
the lowest printable character so technically every printable character
showed be greater than space but it isn't in this case. I create another
database and set collation to 'C'. then the same select query returns
"~!(at)#$^&(". The problem is only apparent in a Linux environment where
postgreSQL is running and the database has a collation of en_US.utf8. Can
someone help please?

create table test (
name_c varchar(14)
)

insert into test (name_c) values ('AAA')
insert into test (name_c) values ('BAA')
insert into test (name_c) values ('CAA')
insert into test (name_c) values ('DAA')
insert into test (name_c) values ('~!(at)#$^&(')

select * from test where name_c >= ' '