Re: BUG #15396: initdb emits wrong comment for range for effective_io_concurrency

From: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
To: "james(at)jlr-photo(dot)com" <james(at)jlr-photo(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15396: initdb emits wrong comment for range for effective_io_concurrency
Date: 2018-09-23 18:27:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello

effective_io_concurrency can not be set is your system does not support USE_POSIX_FADVISE. In this case only allowed value for effective_io_concurrency is zero.
As far i know mac os does not support posix_fadvise.

Also this is documented behavior https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/runtime-config-resource.html
> Asynchronous I/O depends on an effective posix_fadvise function, which some operating systems lack. If the function is not present then setting this parameter to anything but zero will result in an error.

regards, Sergei