Re: BUG #16070: A double-free bug in interfaces/libpq/fe-secure-openssl.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: wurongxin(at)xmu(dot)edu(dot)cn, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16070: A double-free bug in interfaces/libpq/fe-secure-openssl.c
Date: 2019-10-21 03:44:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> The docs of OpenSSL mention the use of both successively, where
> ENGINE_free() does the cleanup after ENGINE_by_id(), and
> ENGINE_finish() cleans up after ENGINE_init():
> https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/man3/ENGINE_finish.html

Yeah, that reference page pretty definitely agrees with what
we're doing.

> And an actual issue is that we have no coverage for it:
> https://coverage.postgresql.org/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-secure-openssl.c.gcov.html

Oh, hmm ... I'd supposed that the code in question was exercised
in normal SSL connections, but now I see it's not so. It looks
like you need a non-default SSL "engine" to be available?? Might
be hard to test this as a routine thing if it requires additional
software.