Re: BUG #16035: STATEMENT_TIMEOUT not working when we have single quote usage inside CTE which is used in inner sql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: rmohite(at)xento(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de
Subject: Re: BUG #16035: STATEMENT_TIMEOUT not working when we have single quote usage inside CTE which is used in inner sql
Date: 2019-10-24 18:19:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
>> With attached patch (against master), SET STATEMENT_TIMEOUT
>> immediately affects to subsequent commands in the multi statement. I
>> think this is not only more intuitive than v10's behavior but it meets
>> the original reporter's expectation.

> Hm. So, okay, that is a nicer API probably, but note that it also
> has the effect that the timeout starts over again for each statement
> in the string, while before it applied to the string as a whole.
> Are we okay with that change? (I've not yet looked to see if it's
> documented anywhere that it works that way...) It's kind of tossing
> some of the optimization intended by f8e5f156b overboard, since when
> a timeout is active we'll be doing timeout calculations for each
> statement in the string.

I looked around, and as far as I can tell, there is no detail at all
about this in our user-facing docs. I think we should apply a doc
patch more or less like the attached. This fails to provide a complete
spec of what the behavior used to be, but I don't much care to try to
document that 100% exactly.

Anyone have an objection to pushing ahead with this for HEAD only?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
0003-stmt-timeout-docs.patch text/x-diff 1.8 KB