Re: BUG #15880: ERROR: could not open extension control file "/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/pgagent.control": No su

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: shiwangini(dot)shishulkar(at)webgility(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15880: ERROR: could not open extension control file "/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/pgagent.control": No su
Date: 2019-06-28 14:25:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> To implement scheduling, we need use pgagent. For that, extension from
> 'https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/pgadmin/pgagent/pgAgent-4.0.0-Source.tar.gz'.
> And unzipped it to the location, from where it picks.

I don't know much about pgagent, but I seriously doubt that "untar the
source code into the installation directory" is the correct build process
for it. There's probably a README file or some other documentation
explaining what you should do instead.

> postgres=# CREATE EXTENSION pgagent;
> ERROR: extension "pgagent" has no installation script nor update path for
> version "${MAJOR_VERSION}.${MINOR_VERSION}"

> The last line error message i received which i'm not able to interpret.

"${MAJOR_VERSION}.${MINOR_VERSION}" is what it's seeing as the default
version in pgagent.control. This reinforces the idea that what you've
installed is some precursor file and not what's intended to be the
built-and-installed contents of the extension.