Re: BUG #15367: Crash in pg_fe_scram_free when using foreign tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Jeremy Evans <code(at)jeremyevans(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15367: Crash in pg_fe_scram_free when using foreign tables
Date: 2018-09-10 14:52:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Ugh ... anole just reported in with the same issue, which means it
> exists on HP-UX versions that people might still care about in
> practice.
> I still haven't looked for a fix (real life has intruded more than
> usual right at the moment).

AFAICT, this platform's "ld" doesn't have any simple equivalent of
a version script, but it does have "-B symbolic", which appears to
fix the problem in a quick test. I'm running a more thorough test
now.

The fix I'm able to test looks like

ifeq ($(PORTNAME), hpux)
ifdef SO_MAJOR_VERSION
shlib = lib$(NAME)$(DLSUFFIX).$(SO_MAJOR_VERSION)
endif
ifeq ($(with_gnu_ld), yes)
LINK.shared = $(CC) -shared
ifdef soname
LINK.shared += -Wl,-h -Wl,$(soname)
endif
else
- LINK.shared = $(LD) -b
+ LINK.shared = $(LD) -b -B symbolic
ifdef soname
LINK.shared += +h $(soname)
endif

I'm not sure what to do in the with_gnu_ld subsection: building with
GNU ld might or might not have the problem, and if it does, the best
fix might or might not be "-B symbolic". But none of the HPUX animals
in the buildfarm are using GNU ld, so I suspect that that subsection is
dead code. I'm inclined to just add a comment saying that that code
has not been tested recently.