Re: bug report

From: blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr
To: pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de, dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug report
Date: 2004-05-12 22:25:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Andreas,

----Message d'origine----
>Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 22:05:39 +0200
>De: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
>A: blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
>Copie à: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Sujet: Re: [pgadmin-support] bug report
>
>what is 1.0.2-2? While we might need to release maintenance versions
>much more often, we should try to have a consistent versioning over
>platforms, including fix tracking in changelog.txt. Maybe we shoul
>release a 1.0.3 very soon now.

1.0.2-2 is the release 2 of the Official Debian package. May be I should have insist a little more on what I do in Debian package:
the first release (1.0.2-1) was the official 1.0.2 pgAdmin III with the fix for "Mule internal encoded DB" and the fix for the help system and some stuff in the install stage to be compliant with the Debian FHS.

1.0.2-2 was released to close a bug which was opened at debian.org concerning the crash. I simply included the patch mentioned.

etc...
I'm about to upload 1.0.2-5 which corrects stuff specific to Debian copyright concerns and also includes the fix from Hiroshi to correct SQL highlights.

Concerning the fact that we should try to keep a sync versioning, I fully agree with this as I *do* understand that you can't be aware of everything I do in Debian and that it can complexify bug tracking for you and other developers.
On the other side, I think that all bugs reported directly to Debian which can be rapidly corrected in the Debian package (in particular crash bugs) should be corrected. I always took simple patches which were in general backported to the stable branch by you or Dave and which were candidates for the next stable release so that I don't face a side effect.

I think we should try to discuss about this with other pgadmin-hackers if you are ok. I don't want to be a new source for problems ;)

Concerning 1.0.3 I'm 150% for it as there are many crash bugs solved since actual 1.0.2.... May be we should review reasons for maintenance release based on bug impact (crash and so on) ?

Regards,
Raphael