Re: Extension Templates S03E11

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Date: 2013-12-03 17:14:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I understand that you once proposed that and it was shot down but I
> think we need to move past that now that we've seen what the alternative
> is.. That isn't to say anything about the code or about you
> specifically, but, for my part, I really don't like nor see the value of
> sticking script blobs into the catalog as some kind of representation of
> database objects.

Well yeah, I'm having quite a hard time to withdraw that proposal, which
is the fourth one in three years, and that had been proposed to me on
this very mailing list, and got the infamous "community buy-in" about a
year ago.

It's always a hard time when you're being told that the main constraints
you had to work with suddenly are no more, because after all this work,
we realize that imposing those constraints actually made no sense.

I understand that it can happen, it still really sucks when it does.

<delusionnal paragraph, censored for lack of humour (incl. sarcasm)>

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine