Re: WIP: About CMake v2

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date: 2017-01-30 15:26:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/30/17 1:28 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Given that fact, I just don't buy why it's a good idea to not also
> replace autoconf initially.

Well, I find it a bit scary. If you do the big switch all at once, then
you will have to dedicate the following 3 months to fixing complaints
from developers and build farmers.

> Either we're able to properly test it - i.e. it runs all tests - on *nix or we're not.

That would work if there were a single entry point into the build
system. But in practice there are many, and every one of them is
someone's favorite. It's unlikely that we will be able to enumerate all
of them during patch review.