Re: BUG #5032: unexpected syntax error for plpgsql function returns table

From: Keith Cascio <keith(at)CS(dot)UCLA(dot)EDU>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5032: unexpected syntax error for plpgsql function returns table
Date: 2009-09-03 04:48:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Pavel,

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> it's not bug - PostgreSQL doesn't support parameter placeholder on this
> position. Use dynamic query instead - plpgsql statement EXECUTE.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your suggestion, but it still seems like
a bug to me. Please comment on the fact that the following code succeeds:

create function reproduce() returns table(foo integer) language plpgsql as
'begin return query select 1 bar; end;';

Output in psql is:
CREATE FUNCTION

Why should it succeed with "bar" but not with "foo"?

Thanks,
Keith