Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, mail(at)bwe(dot)im, Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i
Date: 2015-07-05 16:28:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello Guillaume & Julien,

Thanks for the comments and the improvements!

>> I can't look at the code right now, but doesn't it use PQdb() to get the
>> name of the database? If it doesn't, it probably should.
>
> I'm attaching a new version of the patch, which retrieves the actual
> database name once connected if needed. That only solves this message
> though, the other ones being displayed before the connection is available.

I'm not sure it is worth bothering with setting dbname which seems not to
be used afterwards anyway. I would suggest to coldly call PQdb on the
connection for the error message and thus simplify the code, as attached.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-hint-6.patch text/x-diff 504 bytes