Re: One big database or little separate ones?

From: Allan Berger <alb2(at)cornell(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: One big database or little separate ones?
Date: 2004-01-11 18:46:45
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi all,

This is a great topic for me, as I'm just now starting to consider
this very issue.

Is there any advantage to maintaining separate databases for backup purposes?

Specifically, I am going to have a large number of tables with text
info, and just a few tables that saves several gigabytes of images
and data files.  I was thinking of having the text data in one
database to allow for frequent backups (every few hours), with the
large image and file database backed up less frequently (once a day
or less frequently).

Is the balance in backing up several hundred megs of text data
frequently v. several gigabytes of less critical binary data a good
reason to maintain separate databases?  All thoughts welcome...

-Allan