Displaying database names from within application

From: William C Brennan <brennan(at)netaxs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Displaying database names from within application
Date: 2002-02-15 13:58:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm writing an application program which uses Postgresql
functionality via calls to the library libpq.

One of the things I'd like to do is present the user with a list of
possible database names to choose from, nicely formatted from within
a GUI, but I can't seem to find a way to access the database names
through system calls.

(Of course, I could make a system call, asking Unix to interpret the
string "psql -l", but I'd like to thing there is a more direct route
available to me, performing the same call to the Postgresql backend
that the command "psql -l" must do itself.)

I see in the Developer's Guide that there are catalogs with this
information, but I don't know how to query the catalogs.

Can someone help?

Thanks!

-- Bill