Re: [PORTS] RE: pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, possib

From: Simon Shapiro <shimon(at)simon-shapiro(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: (PostgreSQL-development) <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RE: pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, possib
Date: 1998-03-24 00:45:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23-Mar-98 Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> > cvsup is updated now.
>>
>> Almost exactly the same result: The library will not install in
>> ~pgsql/lib.
>> I installed by hand; cd ~/src/pgsql/src/interfaces/libpgtcl;make
>> install.
>> I specified in configure --with-tcl, which to my narrow mind, heavily
>> influenced with the 6.2 behavior, it sounds like a bug.
>
> OK, did you remove config.cache before running configure, and supply the
> include and library directories when prompted by configure, and do you
> have tcl.h, tk.h, libtcl.[a,so] and libtk.[a,so] in one of those
> directories. If you do all those things, it should find it. You may
> want to add a set -x to configure just before the tcl/tk probing to see
> what it is doing.

I did rm -rf ~pgsql/src/pgsql which should be almost as good.
config did not complain about anything missing. I have now explicitly
included the paths (the problem is most likely FreeBSD removing things like
/usr/local/include/{tcl,tk}.h). Configure did NOT complain loudly
enough about not finding things. IMHO, if I specify --with-tcl and tcl.h
is not found, this should be a fatal error in configure, or at least in
make all, or in make install.

>> > I think that is all it takes.
>>
>> Nope. I also did (as root :-), ldconfig -m ~pgsql/lib, and added
>> ~pgsql/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Under BSDI, we don't have dynamic shared libraries for performance
> reasons, but have a more SVr3 shared library that is created using a
> special shlicc command. You specify that result library on the link
> line, and it works.
>
> The shame of it is that every OS seems to have different way to load
> dynamic libraries, and with/pgaccess need those types of libraries, so
> there is no boilerplate solution to this.

Somehow, 6.2.1 builds and compiles correctly, so something can be done.
The only thing I worry about is repeatability; The next build will go all
over this mess again, unless we document it here. I am naive enough to
belive that Makefiles are intended for this purpose :-)

> It actually looks like it found libpgtcl.so, but not cannot load libpq,
> which is referenced by libpgtcl.so. I recommend you try that and see if
> it works. I don't do that step here, but it sounds like you may need to
> do it.

This is odd, as all the other executables find the library. Postgres works.

I modified pgaccess.tcl to load the library explicitly. Then it fails on
_PQnotifies. I add an explicit load for libpq. and it fails on _crypt.
All this with wish{4.1,4.2,8.0,8.1}.
So, smart simon tries pgtclsh, that simply gives me a % prompt.
OK, how about pgtksh?

Error in startup script: couldn't find procedure Pq_Init
while executing
"load /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so"
(procedure "main" line 3)
invoked from within
"main $argc $argv
"
(file "bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl" line 4506)

I'd say something is sick here.

> Yea, this tcl/tk version thing is pretty pathetic.

I am relived to hear this is not the ignorant observation of the clueless
(me).

> --
> Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
> + If your life is a hard drive, | (610) 353-9879(w)
> + Christ can be your backup. | (610) 853-3000(h)

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon(at)Simon-Shapiro(dot)ORG Voice: 503.799.2313