Re: One source of constant annoyance identified

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Markus Wollny <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One source of constant annoyance identified
Date: 2002-06-30 03:24:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Yeah, but if the queries after that are not using all of the mapped
> > memory, that should be swapped out fairly quickly because the
> > machine is short on memory.
>
> And the swapping activity is exactly the problem, isn't it?

That particular swapping activity would not be a problem. Memory
that's not used gets paged out and that's the end of it. The problem
is that something is *using* that memory, so it's not being paged
out, or if it does get paged out, it gets paged back in again.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC