Re: SOC & user quotas

From: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: SOC & user quotas
Date: 2007-03-02 01:22:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Sergey E. Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru> writes:
>> I still don't understand how FS quotas can help with DB quotas. ..
>> All the FS quotas are setup for limiting the space for specific user and
>> specific mount point. AFAIK They do not allow to limit the space in one
>> directory. And since all the PG tablespaces will be owned by postgres
>> user, I dont think the FS quotas can do the job.
>
> Well, you have to put the tablespace on a mount point that's not
> otherwise used by Postgres, but beyond that I don't see the problem.

And if you have 5-10 users which should be under quota , you need 5-10
different mount points. From my humble opinion that's an absolutely crazy
solution and nobody will ever do that.

> The point here is not that it's amazingly simple or convenient to use;
> obviously it isn't. The point is that it's *possible* to get this sort
> of effect today, and so we have to ask whether it's really worth a good
> deal of development effort and code complexity to provide somewhat
> more convenient, but basically duplicate, functionality within Postgres.

Yes, I completely agree that it's up to the comunity to decide whether
the feature is worth the complexity of its development, but I don't agree
that's a duplication of existing functionality. IMHO.

regards,
Sergey

Sergey E. Koposov
Max Planck Institute for Astronomy/Cambridge Institute for Astronomy/Sternberg Astronomical Institute
Tel: +49-6221-528-349
Web: http://lnfm1.sai.msu.ru/~math
E-mail: math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru