Re: commit so slow program looks frozen

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Carlo Stonebanks <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: commit so slow program looks frozen
Date: 2006-10-26 17:57:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Carlo Stonebanks wrote:

> It could even be that there's something wrong with the TCL package, but from
> my understanding it is one of the most complete interfaces out there - which
> is weird, because TCL seems to be the most unpopular language in the
> community.

Not that this matters much and it's slightly off the topic of performance,
but...

...I would have to check my _ancient_ emails for the name of the guy and
the dates, but the integration was first done while I was a researcher at
Berkeley, at the tail end of the Postgres team's funding. My team used
Postgres with TCL internals to implement "the query from hell" inside the
server. That was about 1994 or '95, IIRC. At that time, most people who
knew both said that they were roughly equivalent, with PERL being _vastly_
less intelligible (to humans) and they hated it. What happened was PERL
got exposure that TCL didn't and people who didn't know better jumped on
it.

So, it was one of the most complete interfaces because it was done first,
or nearly first, by the original guys that created the original Postgres.

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation