Re: ? (question mark) characters

From: Michael Stephenson <mstephenson(at)tirin(dot)openworld(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ? (question mark) characters
Date: 2001-08-30 13:39:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> Ok, I tried all the drivers currently available at http://jdbc.fastcrypt.com.
> They all seem to correct the problem with long (>8k) SQL statements, but
> they're all broken considering Portuguese characters like áéíóú (aeiou with
> accent)... they are replaced by question marks (?)... any ideas? Should I try
> to compile my own drivers? How?
> BTW I am using JDK 1.3 from Sun (Solaris and Linux)...

I suspect the problem is not with the jdbc driver but with the way you
have configured postgres, try building postgres with:

./configure --with-java --enable-multibyte=UNICODE --enable-unicode-conversion

And use initdb with the -E UNICODE option:

initdb -E UNICODE -D [path to data directory]

And see if that works, good luck!

Michael