Re: psql question

From: <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Joe Conway <joe(at)conway-family(dot)com>
Cc: sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql question
Date: 2000-11-24 04:06:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Joe Conway wrote:

> On machines where I've installed PostgreSQL 7.0.2 from RPM, psql allows use
> of the up arrow key for history and the escape/tab key for command
> completion, but on my remote web host (webpipe.net) those keys don't work.
> What do I need to do to get these features working on my remote web host?
> I've seen reference to .psqlrc in the psql man file, but not much else (no
> syntax, etc).

*sigh* another candidate for the FAQ, I think.

The history keys rely on the GNU readline library. If that library is not
available on your system, the history keys don't work. If you compile
postgres from scratch, make sure you have also installed the
readline-devel rpm as well, so you get the header files, else the
configure phase of the compile will not properly detect and use the
library.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship.
-- Zeuxis