Re: eeeh... buffer leak?

From: Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh(at)gnu(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: eeeh... buffer leak?
Date: 2000-10-16 21:55:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> > ulsec=# truncate job;
> > NOTICE: Buffer Leak: [002] (freeNext=-3, freePrev=-3, relname=job, blockNum=0,
> > flags=0xc, refcount=1 -1)
> > TRUNCATE
>
> Hmm, that's interesting. It shouldn't be possible for PrivateRefCount
> (the last value printed) to become negative. Can you give a sequence
> for reproducing this notice from a standing start?

Unfortunately not. I was very very surprised when I saw this (as I never
got any errors like this), and I tried to reproduce what I did, but I
didn't get this message again. (This is a pretty heavily-used database
(lots of clients via the network), so the odds of reproducing the exact
sequence of events is pretty small anyway).

By the way, this is PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on a Red Hat 6.2 box with a custom
kernel.

So.. what am I to do if I ever get this message again?

greetings,
Lennert