Re: [INTERFACES] problems with large-objects

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: woho(at)ieee(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] problems with large-objects
Date: 1999-10-04 11:44:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Of course I take an immediate look into the docs, and I found it: In the
> > sample program of the Large-Object-chapter (Chapter 15). Is this the
> > only place where it is documented? If this is the only place, then I
> > think, it should be mentioned in more places. Or can you tell me, where
> > I can read more about it?
>
> I don't know. I just added a note to the top of the "Interfaces"
> portion of that chapter which mentions this explicitly. Maybe that is
> enough...

We need to add a reference to this in the JDBC docs, as I'm answering
quite a few "bug" reports where LargeObjects are not working.

For jdbc, you need to use the setAutoCommit() method to false.

ie:

Connection mycon;

mycon.setAutoCommit(false);

... now use Large Objects

I'm thinking of adding a more descriptive error message when LO's fail.

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk