Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Christopher C Chimelis <chris(at)beezer(dot)med(dot)miami(dot)edu>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, debian-alpha(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-31 00:52:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> If this were to be a permanent problem, it could be addressed by renaming
> the packages; however, this would cause a lot of trouble to many users,
> so I don't want to do that when 6.6 will remove the need for it.
>
> What I propose to do is to disable the Alpha build in the next version of
> the Debian package (6.5.1-4) and make it put out information that the
> Alpha source must be downloaded from <somewhere>. I would prefer that to be
> in my account at www.debian.org, so that I can incorporate any changes
> that go into the mainstream package.

What kind of patches are we dealing with? One of us could probably easily
review them here and find a way to have the source patched in the event of
an Alpha build environment (I already am working on a similar solution for
binutils). Being pretty familiar with the postgresql source and the Alpha
problems with it, feel free to mail me any patches that you want me to
test (right now, I run postgresql, but have no data being served by it, so
nothing's in danger).