Re: [HACKERS] error messages not only English

From: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
To: Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
Cc: "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "'mimo(at)interdata(dot)com(dot)pl'" <mimo(at)interdata(dot)com(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] error messages not only English
Date: 1998-05-22 16:38:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Andreas Zeugswetter wrote:

> > That sounds like a good idea.
> >
> > How about having them stored in a new system table (say pg_errormsg) which
> > contains each possible error in all the supported languages.
>
> While this sounds good for end users, it is an absolute nightmare for somebody trying to
> give support. Or what would you do if someone told you:
> I get:
> FEHLER: Des vastehts ihr nie, weu des Wiena Dialekt is.
> and now my program won't respond anymore.
>
> Anyway, we are still missing the first step in this direction: enumerate ERROR messages.

We can have both of them for example:
err no. message
ERROR #342 - "Column number too big" -- English
ERROR #342 - "Numero de columna demasiado alto" -- Spanish
FEHLER #342 - "Die Spaltennummer ist zu gross" -- German
ERRO #342 - "Numero de coluna alto demais" -- Portuguese
ERRORE #342 - "Numero di colonna troppo alto" -- Italian
Ciao, Jose'