Re: [SQL] faster output from php and postgres (one resolution)

From: Chadwick Rolfs <cmr(at)shell(dot)gis(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] faster output from php and postgres (one resolution)
Date: 2003-05-29 19:53:14
Lists: pgsql-php pgsql-sql

My solution to the problem stated below was to learn plpgsql, and write a
function that loops through the returned records, concatenating a string
together, and returning that string as the Author field.
This function was actually e-mailed to me by a collegue, and I did a bit
of doctoring (it still needs it) to get it functional (pun perhaps
intended :>):

create function show_auth(integer) returns varchar as '
declare
a record;
b alias for $1;
s varchar;
c varchar;
begin
s := '''';
c := '''';
for a in
select author.last
from pub_auth, author
where pub_auth.pub_id = b
and author.auth_id = pub_auth.auth_id
order by author.last
loop
s := s || c|| a.last;
c := '', '';
end loop;
return s;
end;
' language 'plpgsql';

Although there were many ways to do this, as Jean-Luc points out below, I
believe in the long run this one is best.
This function will be expanded to actually handle the entire query that
was starting with:

select auth_id
from author
where
lower(last) like lower('%".addslashes($search_term)."%')
order by last, first

-OR-

select distinct pub_auth.pub_id, title, source, year, type, length,
copyright, abstract, pdformat, keywords
from publication, pub_auth
where
keywords like '%".addslashes($search_term)."%'
and
publication.pub_id = pub_auth.pub_id
order by year desc, title

In other words, two different functions. I guess.

Hopefully this helps anyone else in the future!

-Chadwick