Re: Binary protocol patch v7

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Binary protocol patch v7
Date: 2007-02-19 03:03:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
>
>> Just to remind you that the I updated the patches for sending receiving
>> columns in v3 binary format are available at:
>> http://mokki.dyndns.org/~mtiihone/postgresql/binarytransfer/
>>

> I was actually looking at the v7 patch earlier this week, specifically
> looking at the conversion code. To try and throw some of the toughest test
> cases at it I modified the timestamp and time zone test code like
> k1-timestamp-test.patch. When running the tests with a
> build.local.properties including binaryTransfer=true and preparethreshold=1
> this test fails.
>
> So I thought about ways to get more testing without having to rewrite every
> single regression test. I'm not suggesting committing any of this code, but
> it's just something I hacked together to try more cases.

With the attached patch and binaryTransfer=true and preparethreshold=1 in
build.local.properties I was able to run the regression tests completely
and got a number of failures.

1) DatabaseMetaData creates ResultSets by sometimes pulling raw bytes out
of another ResultSet, so it needs to also pass the binary flag to the new
ResultSet.

2) A number of failures in date/time tests. It seems to have
some problems with time zones. Also, conversion to strings
should result in something identical to the text format.

3) There's also a couple of fake failures due to the methodology used.
testUpdateStreams and testHoldableResultSet fail only because of the
changes I made.

Kris Jurka

Attachment Content-Type Size
test-binary.patch text/plain 4.4 KB