Re: [GENERAL] Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license
Date: 2003-11-28 22:17:35
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:01:39 +1100 Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that also require permission from
> every other contributer to PostgreSQL ever? I mean, hypothetically there
> might be someone in there who disagrees with the change.

i don't. i'm a geek who is refusing to play lawyer right now. it might
be a good idea to consult with one.

note, however, that the copyright assignment is to:

Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2002, The PostgreSQL Global Development Group

Portions Copyright (c) 1994, The Regents of the University of California

which suggests that the Regents and "The PostgreSQL Global
Development Group" hold the rights, and so those are the only two
entities that would need to grant permission. i'm not sure what kind
of legal entity the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is,
though. it might end up meaning each individual, if it's not an
actual corporation. there's no substitute for an informed legal
opinion on this subject. is one available?

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592