Re: Just as an FYI We are up solid now on pgsql libpq version

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Just as an FYI We are up solid now on pgsql libpq version
Date: 2005-10-05 07:31:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc

________________________________

From: pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Joel Fradkin
Sent: 04 October 2005 23:27
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ODBC] Just as an FYI We are up solid now on pgsql
libpq version

Hi Dave,

Hi Joel,

Thought I would give you an update.

We have been up solid. I built the version we are using just
prior to your separating aschii and non aschii (so it's the non aschii
version).

I have not seen any odbc related issues. I am still using the
7.4 non libpq version with my DTS dumps from SQL server, but our
production web servers have been working great on 8.0.3 postgres.

Excellent news - hopefully you boss is somewhat happier now as well :-)

It might be worth trying the very latest CVS code with your DTS packages
- there's at least one fix in there specifically for a SQL Server
problem, plus the ANSI build of the driver is much more akin to the 7,4
series.

I have heard the 8.1 is supposed to be faster and will look at
converting to it at some time in the future, but since the speed has
been great and the reliability has been great I am almost afraid to
touch anything.

I would consider upgrading to 8.0.4 which is just out (and is a simple
upgrade to 8.0.3 with no dump/reload), but hold off on 8.1 until you
have good reason to upgrade. It seems unwise to upgrade a stable system
just because you *might* gain a few seconds on the odd query.

My thanks go out again to all the wonderful folks on list that
helped me resolve the issues.

No problem - glad to help. Thanks for bearing with us whilst we brought
the new driver up to speed!

Regards, Dave.