Re: LIKE predicate and ERROR: 42P22: could not determine which collation to use for string comparison - HINT: Use the COLLATE clause ...

From: John Lumby <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LIKE predicate and ERROR: 42P22: could not determine which collation to use for string comparison - HINT: Use the COLLATE clause ...
Date: 2011-12-13 18:35:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Yes,  I'm definitely running 9.1.2 (on the output I sent earlier today).
I've also tried again on yet another different system and get the same bug there.

I do have other databases in my cluster which probably explains the different datlastsysoid.

I am at a loss to explain what could be different.  I've run it on different machines,
different linux distros and both postgres 9.1 releases,   and see same result every time.
There must be some (other) external environmental factor.   Do you happen to know
of any?  I wonder if the locale in effect when I ran initdb affects it?
I would have had LANG=C and LC_ALL=C exported.     Do you have
any system where you could try an initdb with those environment vars exported?

What are the values of relevant locale-type env vars when you ran initdb on your test sys?

Regards,    John Lumby