Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning

From: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning
Date: 2017-07-20 13:17:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:01 AM, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have worked further on V21 patch set, rebased it on latest master commit,
> addressed the comments given by Robert, Ashutosh and others.
>
> The attached tar has a series of 7 patches.
> Here is a brief of these 7 patches:
>
> 0001:
> Refactoring existing ATExecAttachPartition code so that it can be used for
> default partitioning as well
>
> 0002:
> This patch teaches the partitioning code to handle the NIL returned by
> get_qual_for_list().
> This is needed because a default partition will not have any constraints
> in case
> it is the only partition of its parent.
>
> 0003:
> Support for default partition with the restriction of preventing addition
> of any
> new partition after default partition.
>
> 0004:
> Store the default partition OID in pg_partition_table, this will help us to
> retrieve the OID of default relation when we don't have the relation cache
> available. This was also suggested by Amit Langote here[1].
>
> 0005:
> Extend default partitioning support to allow addition of new partitions.
>
> 0006:
> Extend default partitioning validation code to reuse the refactored code in
> patch 0001.
>
> 0007:
> This patch introduces code to check if the scanning of default partition
> child
> can be skipped if it's constraints are proven.
>
> TODO:
> Add documentation.

I have added a documentation patch(patch 0008) to the existing set of
patches.
PFA.

> Merge default range partitioning patch.

Beena has created a patch on top of my patches here[1].

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOG9ApGEZxSQD-
ZD3icj_CwTmprSGG7sZ_r3k9m4rmcc6ozr%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,
Jeevan Ladhe

Attachment Content-Type Size
default_partition_V23.tar application/x-tar 160.0 KB