Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER

From: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER
Date: 2014-10-31 21:37:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

> I agree that we should probably seperate the concerns here. Personally,
> I like the idea of being able to say "CURRENT_USER" in utility commands
> to refer to the current user where a role would normally be expected, as
> I could see it simplifying things for some applications, but that's a
> new feature and independent of making role-vs-user cases more
> consistent.

So, I've been doing a little digging and it would appear that the ALTER
ROLE/USER consistency was brought up earlier in the year.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CADyrUxMv-tvSBV7mTtcs+qEdNy6xj1+KRtzfowVuHdJC5mGjfg@mail.gmail.com

It was returned with feedback in Commitfest 2014-06 and apparently lost
steam:

Tom put forward a suggestion for how to fix it:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/21570.1408832605@sss.pgh.pa.us

I have taken that patch and updated the documentation (attached) and ran it
through some cursory testing.

At any rate, this is probably a good starting point for those changes.

-Adam

--
Adam Brightwell - adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com
Database Engineer - www.crunchydatasolutions.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
alter-role-or-user-v1.patch text/x-patch 8.2 KB