Re: Bug in pg_dump

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in pg_dump
Date: 2015-03-05 23:42:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Michael Paquier
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> - set up basic scaffolding for TAP tests in src/bin/pg_dump
>
> Agreed.
>
>> - write a Perl function that can create an extension on the fly, given
>> name, C code, SQL code
>
> I am perplex about that. Where would the SQL code or C code be stored?
> In the pl script itself? I cannot really see the advantage to generate
> automatically the skeletton of an extension based on some C or SQL
> code in comparison to store the extension statically as-is. Adding
> those extensions in src/test/modules is out of scope to not bloat it,
> so we could for example add such test extensions in t/extensions/ or
> similar, and have prove_check scan this folder, then install those
> extensions in the temporary installation.
>
>> - add to the proposed t/001_dump_test.pl code to write the extension
>> - add that test to the pg_dump test suite
>> Eventually, the dump-and-restore routine could also be refactored, but
>> as long as we only have one test case, that can wait.
>
> Agreed on all those points.

Please note that I have created a new thread especially for this purpose here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqRx=zmBFJyjrWhGuhHqK__8M+wd+P95ceNJtMHxXR7RRg@mail.gmail.com
Perhaps we should move there this discussion as it is rather
independent of the problem that has been reported.

Regards,
--
Michael