Re: [Proposal] Table partition + join pushdown

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Taiki Kondo <tai-kondo(at)yk(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Yanagisawa <hir-yanagisawa(at)ut(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Table partition + join pushdown
Date: 2016-01-19 17:18:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> For
>> example, suppose that x and y are numeric columns and P(x) is
>> length(x::text) == 3. Then you could have 1 in one table and 1.0 in
>> the table; they join, but P(x) is true for one and false for the
>> other.
>
> Fwiw, ages ago there was some talk about having a property on
> functions "equality preserving" or something like that. If a function,
> or more likely a <function,operator> tuple had this property set then
> x op y => f(x) op f(y). This would be most useful for things like
> substring or hash functions which would allow partial indexes or
> partition exclusion to be more generally useful.
>
> Of course then you really want <f,op1,op2> to indicate that "a op1 b
> => f(a) op2 f(b)" so you can handle things like <substring,lt,lte > so
> that "a < b => substring(a,n) <= substring(b,n)" and you need some way
> to represent the extra arguments to substring and the whole thing
> became too complex and got dropped.
>
> But perhaps even a simpler property that only worked for equality and
> single-argument functions would be useful since it would let us mark
> hash functions Or perhaps we only need to mark the few functions that
> expose properties that don't affect equality since I think there are
> actually very few of them.

We could certainly mark operators that amount to testing binary
equality as such, and this optimization could be used for join
operators so marked. But I worry that would become a crutch, with
people implementing optimizations that work for such operators and
leaving numeric (for example) out in the cold. Of course, we could
worry about such problems when and if they happen, and accept the idea
of markings for now. However, I'm inclined to think that there's a
better way to optimize the case Taiki Kondo and Kouhei Kagai are
targeting.

If we get declarative partitioning, an oft-requested feature that has
been worked on by various people over the years and currently by Amit
Langote, and specifically if we get hash partitioning, then we'll
presumably use the hash function for the default operator class of the
partitioning column's datatype to partition the table. Then, if we do
a join against some other table and consider a hash join, we'll be
using the same hash function on our side, and either the same operator
or a compatible operator for some other datatype in the same opfamily
on the other side. At that point, if we push down the join, we can
add a filter on the inner side of the join that the hash value of the
matching column has to map to the partition it's being joined against.
And we don't get a recurrence of this problem in that case, because
we're not dealing with an arbitrary predicate - we're dealing with a
hash function whose equality semantics are defined to be compatible
with the join operator.

That approach works with any data type that has a default hash
operator class, which covers pretty much everything anybody is likely
to care about, including numeric.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company