Postgres DBA Opportunity

From: Dave Summerfield <daves(at)talentbidit(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres DBA Opportunity
Date: 2012-09-24 19:37:41
Lists: pgsql-jobs

To the Administrator of this forum,

I have visited in the past and appreciate your willingness to post Postgres DBA positions.

I once again have an opening and was wondering whether you would be interested in posting for your community. Thanks for your help.

Please see below for additional details:

Here is my message:

"My name is Dave Summerfield. I work as a Resource Manager for TalentBid IT, a recruiting firm in Milwaukee, WI. My guess is you get a lot of contact about various opportunities, (probably an understatement!) so I will be brief...

Our direct client is looking for a Postgres DBA to help establish best practices for their organization. This is a long-term project near Peoria, IL (southern part of the state)

I understand there are not many Postgres candidates in the marketplace, (I believe 7 last time I recruited :)) so our client is offering flexibility with on-site expectations, either with full remote work offered after 1 month or 50% remote work.

Please note: If this isn't the right fit for you at this time I can offer a $1,000 referral bonus for any referred candidate that is onsite for 30 days with this direct client.

Below is a broad summary of the position:

Our client has already ported their DB2 database to postgresql. They are looking to implement a sharded multimaster architecture using a combination of community and proprietary solutions with PostgreSQL as the RDMS, however there are currently no production ready off the shelf solutions for the multi-master requirement. Consequently there are huge efforts to implement workarounds that will be used until a fully multimaster solution is ready.

The current phase of the effort is to implement a system using PostgreSQL and some form of synchronous and asynchronous replication using PostgreSQL's built in replication or a third party add on like Slony-II or Bucardo.

Efforts have a begun to start porting application code and SQL code from DB2 to Postgres. They are also working on the backup strategies, HA and DR solutions.

On to everybody's question, the rate. I need to submit consultants at an all-inclusive rate for this project, and that rate is probably between $75-$100 per hour on a C2C or W2. I understand if may be tough the gauge the cost of travel to Illinois, but I just wanted to be upfront and potentially save us both some time!

Thanks for your time today, if you are still reading :) I look forward to connecting soon.

Dave"

Dave Summerfield
Director of Resource Management

[cid:image002(dot)jpg(at)01CD9A62(dot)270D54B0]

office: 414.773.0608 cell: 414.380.1087 fax: 414.607.2066