Re: disposition of remaining patches

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: disposition of remaining patches
Date: 2011-02-23 17:54:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The CommitFest application currently reflects 17 remaining patches for
> CommitFest 2011-01.

Now we're down to 12. As usual, the last few patches take the longest...

> 1. Change pg_last_xlog_receive_location not to move backwards.  We
> don't have complete consensus on what to do here.  If we can agree on
> a way forward, I think we can finish this one up pretty quickly.  It's
> partially being held up by #2.

No change.

> 2. Synchronous replication.  Splitting up this patch has allowed some
> progress to be made here, but there is a lot left to do, and I fear
> that trying to hash out the design issues at this late date is not
> going to lead to a great final product.  The proposed timeout to make
> the server boot out clients that don't seem to be responding is not
> worth committing, as it will only work when the server isn't
> generating WAL, which can't be presumed to be the normal state of
> affairs.  The patch to avoid ever letting the WAL sender status go
> backward from catchup to streaming was committed without discussion,
> and needs to be reverted for reasons discussed on that thread.  An
> updated version of the main patch has yet to be posted.

This has gotten a bunch of review, on several different threads. I
assume Simon will publish an update when he gets back to his
keyboard...

> 3, 4, 5. SQL/MED.  Tom has picked up the main FDW API patch, which I
> expect means it'll go in.  I am not so sure about the FDW patches,
> though: in particular, based on Heikki's comments, the postgresql_fdw
> patch seems to be badly in need of some more work.  The file_fdw patch
> may be in better shape (I'm not 100% sure), but it needs the encoding
> fix patch Itagaki Takahiro recently proposed.  For this to be
> worthwhile, we presumably need to get at least one FDW committed along
> with the API patch.

The core and file_fdw patches are in; postgresql_fdw is being reworked
by the author.

> 6. Writeable CTEs.  Tom said he'd look at this one.
> 7. contrib/btree_gist KNN.  Needs updating as a result of the
> extensions patch.  This ball is really in Teodor and Oleg's court.

No change on these.

> 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.  PL/python patches.  I believe Peter was
> working on these, but I haven't seen any updates in a while.

Peter committed two of these seven, leaving five to be addressed.

> 15. Fix snapshot taking inconsistencies.  Tom said he'd look at this one.

No change on this one.

> 16. synchronized snapshots.  Alvaro is working on this one.

Lots of discussion of this one, but current status is not clear to me.
Alvaro, are you working on this actively?

> 17. determining client_encoding from client locale.  This is Peter's
> patch.  Peter, are you planning to commit this?

Peter committed this one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company