Upgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.9

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Upgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.9
Date: 2007-06-25 02:27:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

In order to upgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.9 I get the impression from the
documentation I should do the following:

1) stop my database

2) back it up (just for safety purposes)

3) install the new version overtop of the old one (I would
actually rename the install directory of 8.1.4 before installing 8.1.9 -
I am paranoid)

4) then start PostgreSQL

Since the version I am upgrading to is still version 8.1.X then I don't
have to backup the old database and then restore it from backup into the
new PostgreSQL version. The configuration files are suppose to work
just fine. I just need to install the new version.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect