Volunteer to build a configuration tool

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Volunteer to build a configuration tool
Date: 2007-06-18 15:04:15
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-performance

I am a Java Software architect, DBA, and project manager for the
University of Illinois, Department of Web Services. We use PostgreSQL
to serve about 2 million pages of dynamic content a month; everything
from calendars, surveys, forms, discussion boards, RSS feeds, etc. I am
really impressed with this tool.

The only major problem area I have found where PostgreSQL is really
lacking is in "what should my initial configuration settings be?" I
realize that there are many elements that can impact a DBA's specific
database settings but it would be nice to have a "configuration tool"
that would get someone up and running better in the beginning.

This is my idea:

A JavaScript HTML page that would have some basic questions at the top:

1) How much memory do you have?

2) How many connections will be made to the database?

3) What operating system do you use?

4) Etc...

Next the person would press a button, "generate", found below the
questions. The JavaScript HTML page would then generate content for two
Iframes at the bottom on the page. One Iframe would contain the
contents of the postgresql.conf file. The postgresql.conf settings
would be tailored more to the individuals needs than the standard
default file. The second Iframe would contain the default settings one
should consider using with their operating system.

My web team would be very happy to develop this for the PostgreSQL
project. It would have saved us a lot of time by having a
configuration tool in the beginning. I am willing to make this a very
high priority for my team.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect