Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Andrew Dunstan' <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary
Date: 2004-02-13 23:04:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> The remaining issue I see which is somewhat related to this
> is: how do we allow an installation path to be set at install time
> rather than at configure time (in the usual Windows way)? And how do we do

> that and at the same time provide for multiple installations on the same
machine?

Good question. The problem as I see it is being able to resolve things like
PKGLIBDIR/$libdir (which, at configure time, gets set to something like
/usr/local/pgsql/lib).

If we restrict the Win32 port to prevent the use of configure time --libdir,
--bindir etc (ie. we force the PostgreSQL lib, bin, share, include
directories to fall under the same root directory, as is the default [ie.
/usr/local/pgsql]), then one obvious solution would be to resolve, say
$libdir, under Win32 by taking the basename of progname and appending
../lib. Doesn't seem like a totally unreasonable approach for this platform.

Comments?
Claudio

---
<a