Re: Reviewing temp_tablespaces GUC patch

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reviewing temp_tablespaces GUC patch
Date: 2007-05-25 16:02:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On Freitag, Mai 25, 2007 00:02:06 +0000 Jaime Casanova
<systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> the original patch is from Albert Cervera =)

Ah, missed that, thanks ;)

> sounds good. can we see the new patch?

Attached tablespace.c.diff shows my current changes to use an OID lookup
list.

> the reason for those messages is that the tablespace can get full or
> can be dropped before use, so we throw the message for the dba to take
> actions. if no one thinks is a good idea the message can be removed.

I could imagine that this could irritate DBA's (at least, that is what
happened to me during testing). It's okay that someone could drop a
tablespace concurrently to other transactions, but i have concerns that
with temp_tablespaces this could happen during _queries_. Do queries
delete/recreate temp files during execution, maybe within sorts so that the
used temp tablespace looks empty for a certain period of time?

>> The silent
>> mechanism to drop a tablespace during temporary usage makes me a little
>> bit uncomfortable about its robustness.
>>

> maybe using the list you put in TopMemoryContext we can deny the
> ability to drop the tablespace until it's removed from the list of
> temp tablespaces.

That would mean we have to share this information between backends. This
looks complicated since every user could have its own temp_tablespaces
GUC....

--
Thanks

Bernd