Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout

From: "Vig, Sandor (G/FI-2)" <Sandor(dot)Vig(at)audi(dot)hu>
To: 'John Allgood' <john(at)turbocorp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout
Date: 2005-02-24 08:28:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

RAID1 (mirroring) and RAID1+0 (striping and mirroring) seems to
be a good choice. (RAID 5 is for saving money, but it doesn't have a
good performance)

I suggest you to make a different array for:
- Operating system
- db logs
- each database

It is a little bit of "wasting" disk storage, but it has the best
performance.
Forget RAID 5. If your fibre channel card and the external storage exceeds
their throughput limits you should consider to implement +1 fibre channel
and/or +1 external storage unit. (If you had such a load)

But it is only the hardware. The database structure, and the application
logic is the other 50% of the performance...

Bye
Vig Sándor