Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org
Date: 2004-03-12 15:37:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 02:42:47PM -0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> We need some distinction between the core project sites and other
>> project sites - istm that a different domain is the only way to do that.

> Okay, then how about postgres-extra.net, or forpostgres.net?

> Saying Postgres instead of PostgreSQL takes out a bit of that extra length
> and it's lots easier to pronounce. We've been through this whole what-
> shall-we-call-it thing months ago and IIRC the upshot was that the short
> version of the name is perfectly acceptable and much catchier. Here's a
> chance to use it!

Well, if you want to think along those lines, I believe that we (PGDG)
currently hold these domain names:
postgresql.org
postgresql.com
postgresql.net
postgres.org
postgres.com
It looks like some domain squatter has his tentacles on postgres.net
:-(. We are not doing much with any of these except redirecting to
postgresql.org.

You could make a case that postgres.org for the projects would be the
perfect complement to postgresql.org for the core.

After looking at this list I'm sort of inclined to the idea that we
should *not* use postgresql.net for much of anything ... that will just
help drive traffic to that squatter at postgres.net.

This also brings up the thought that if we do want to use pgfoundry.org,
we'd better register pgfoundry.net and pgfoundry.com before someone
else does.