Re: [HACKERS] Doc updates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Doc updates
Date: 2000-04-08 03:48:30
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> OK, can someone confirm which items still need to be done to update the
> documentation?

> Remove ':' and ';' operators

They're not actually removed yet, just deprecated, so if you have
"removed" in the history file please change it. Otherwise, the
docs are updated.

> Add TRUNCATE command to quickly truncate relation (Mike Mascari)

Documented.

> Add SET FSYNC and SHOW PG_OPTIONS commands(Massimo)

Not documented.

> Improve CREATE FUNCTION to allow type conversion specification
> (Bernie Frankpitt)

Huh? I'm not sure what that is.

> Add CmdTuples() to libpq++(Vince)

Not documented.

> New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)

Not documented.

> Allow CREATE FUNCTION WITH clause to be used for all language types

Documented.

> configure --enable-debug adds -g (Peter E)
> configure --disable-debug removes -g (Peter E)

Documented.

> First real FOREIGN KEY constraint trigger functionality (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH FULL ... ON DELETE CASCADE (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH referential actions (Don Baccus)

Not adequately documented AFAICS.

> Allow WHERE restriction on ctid (physical heap location) (Hiroshi)

Not documented; not quite sure where to put it, either.

> Move pginterface from contrib to interface directory, rename to pgeasy (Bruce)

Documented.

> Add Oracle's COMMENT ON command (Mike Mascari yahoo.

Not documented.

> libpq's PQsetNoticeProcessor function now returns previous hook(Peter E)
> Prevent PQsetNoticeProcessor from being set to NULL (Peter E)

Documented.

> Added psql LastOid variable to return last inserted oid (Peter E)

Documented.

> New libpq functions to allow asynchronous connections: PQconnectStart(),
> PQconnectPoll(), PQresetStart(), PQresetPoll(), PQsetenvStart(),
> PQsetenvPoll(), PQsetenvAbort (Ewan Mellor)
> New libpq PQsetenv() function (Ewan Mellor)

The first four are documented. The other four have been removed from
the API and so do not need documentation.

> create/alter user extension (Peter E)

Documented.

> New postmaster.pid and postmaster.opts under $PGDATA (Tatsuo)

Not documented.

> New scripts for create/drop user/db (Peter E)

Documented.

> Major psql overhaul(Peter E)

psql man page seems up-to-date, do we need more?

> Add const to libpq interface(Peter E)

Not sure we need to do more than mention it in the revision history.

> New libpq function PQoidValue (Peter E)

Documented.

> Add aggregate(DISTINCT ...) (Tom)

Documented.

> Allow flag to control COPY input/output of NULLs (Peter E)

Documented.

> Add CREATE/ALTER/DROP GROUP (Peter E)

Documented.

> All administration scripts now support --long options (Peter E, Karel)

Documented.

> Vacuumdb script now supports --alldb option (Peter E)

Documented.

> Add ecpg EXEC SQL IFDEF, EXEC SQL IFNDEF, EXEC SQL ELSE, EXEC SQL ELIF
> and EXEC SQL ENDIF directives

Not documented.

> Add pg_ctl script to control backend startup (Tatsuo)

Not documented.

> Add postmaster.opts.default file to store startup flags (Tatsuo)

Not documented.

> Allow --with-mb=SQL_ASCII

I see it in README.mb ... but not in the SGML docs ...

> Add initdb --enable-multibyte option (Peter E)

Documented.

> Updated user interfaces on initdb, initlocation, pg_dump, ipcclean
> (Peter E)

initlocation and pg_dump man pages still need to be updated; not sure
about ipcclean.

> New plperl internal programming language (Mark Hollomon)

Documented.

> Add Oracle's to_char(), to_date(), to_datetime(), to_timestamp(), to_number()
> conversion functions (Karel Zak zf.jcu.cz>)

Documented.

> Add SELECT DISTINCT ON (expr [, expr ...]) targetlist ... (Tom)

Documented.

> Add ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY (Stephan Szabo)

Not documented.

> Add SESSION_USER as SQL92 keyword, same as CURRENT_USER (Thomas)

There is a ref page for this, but it's not linked into the documents
as far as I can tell! The only readily-visible reference in the docs
is some obsolete info in the CREATE TABLE page's DEFAULT clause (and
why are function definitions present there anyway?)

> Implement column aliases (aka correlation names) and more join syntax
> (Thomas)
> Allow queries like SELECT a FROM t1 tx (a) (Thomas)
> Allow queries like SELECT * FROM t1 NATURAL JOIN t2 (Thomas)

Not documented.

> Implement REINDEX command (Hiroshi)

There is a ref page for this, but it's not linked into the documentation...

> Accept ALL in aggregate function SUM(ALL col) (Tom)

Documented.

> Allow PQrequestCancel() to terminate when in waiting-for-lock state (Hiroshi)

Not documented, but I'm not sure it needs to be mentioned anywhere but
the history file.

> New libpq functions PQsetClientEncoding(), PQclientEncoding() (Tatsuo)

Documented, but only in README.mb.

> Make libpq's PQconndefaults() thread-safe (Tom)

Documented.

> New lztext data type for compressed text fields

Not documented, but do we want to document it?

> New C-routines to implement a BIT and BIT VARYING type in /contrib
> (Adriaan Joubert)

Not documented, but on the other hand it's not done yet.

> Make ISO date style (2000-02-16 09:33) the default (Thomas)

Couldn't find this stated in the likely spots. SET ref page says the
wrong thing.

> Add NATIONAL CHAR [ VARYING ]

Not documented.

> New TIME WITH TIME ZONE type (Thomas)

Documented.

> Add round(), sqrt(), cbrt(), pow()
> Rename NUMERIC power() to pow()

Documented.

> Improved TRANSLATE() function

Only mentioned in Table 5-4, which hardly gives room to explain...

> Add Linux ARM.
> Update for QNX (Kardos, Dr. Andreas)

Documented.

> Internally change datetime and timespan into timestamp and interval (Thomas)

Documented.

> configure --with-mb now deprecated (Tatsuo)

It's not mentioned in the docs, which is probably documentation enough.

> NetBSD fixes Johnny C. Lam stat.cmu.edu>
> Fixes for Alpha compiles

Do these need to be mentioned?

> New multibyte encodings

I assume README.mb talks about these.

Bottom line: Peter gets an A, the rest of us have work to do...