Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexandra Nitzschke <an(at)clickware(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775
Date: 2008-11-21 17:35:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alexandra Nitzschke <an(at)clickware(dot)de> writes:
> We have had a look at the /var/log files, no system crash, kernel panic or messages like this has happened.

What this smells like is a failed page split --- somewhere in the index
there is a down-link pointing at page 77, but page 77 didn't actually
get added to the file.

If there was no system crash or hardware misfeasance then that'd
represent a Postgres bug, but it's difficult to do much about it
unless you can come up with a reproducible sequence to trigger the bug.

(Also, since you didn't mention otherwise, I assume this is a btree