Dumb Newbie Question

From: William(dot)Roberts(at)revlon(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Dumb Newbie Question
Date: 2000-08-17 21:22:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

I installed Postgres 6.5 from RPM on Mandrake 6.0. After moving the files
around, I finally got initdb to work. Now, for the life of me I can't seem to
get Postmaster to startup. I am trying to start it as user Postgres with the
following command:

postmaster -D/usr/lib/pgsql/data -i

From the documentation that should work. When I try to execute that it gives a
blank line on the terminal screen and sets there forever. The task list says
Postmaster is running, but the terminal is locked unless I do a control z. And
I can't connect to it from another terminal.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Bill

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately.
Thank You.