Re: Enabling connection pooling by default

From: "Adam M" <gnuman1(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling connection pooling by default
Date: 2008-10-17 02:23:14
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Andrus <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee> wrote:
>> Aren't pulled connections going to suffer from the same disconnection
>> problems as nonpulled connections?
>
> No.
> Only idle connections seems to be killed automatically by ADSL modem.
> Maybe TCP_KEEPALIVE can fix this but I havent found any inforamtion about
> its usage with PostgreSQL.

If your ADSL modem is also your router, and you are using NAT, then it
is not killing your connection. It is merely removing it from active
connection queue after 3 min or so of no activity.

If your ADSL modem is not a router, and "disconnects" your connection,
then the ADSL modem is broken. If you have a NAT outside the modem,
then it is the NAT that is timing out, not the modem.

TCP_KEEPALIVE messages are only useful when you have a non-public IP
and/or using NAT and/or want PostgreSQL to close connections where the
client has disappeared.

- Adam